Thursday, July 10, 2014

TODAY's AUTHOR SPOTLIGHT
Jeremy Breitenbach
I’d like to thank  Jeremy Breitenbach  for stopping by and sitting down with us for a few minutes on our virtual couch and answering a few questions.

. Can you tell us a little about yourself?   My name is Jeremy Breitenbach. I am legally blind with cerebral palsy. I use Braille. I've been writing since I was 15. I started out with writing original stories based off of video games I liked specifically The Legend of Zelda and original stories based off a '90's cartoon I love called Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, but in the years since I started writing less of Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog but still continued to write The Legend of Zelda stories as well as writing my own original stories based on the anime Dragon Ball Z (which I'm a HUGE fan of). But in 2009 I started writing my first real book; a book for adults entitled The Gateway finishing it in 2011. While writing that I began writing children's books. Completed three: The Abduction of Benjamin Williams, My Dog George, and Tim's Story (and still working on a 4th: Lost in Wisconsin). I also wrote a how-to book entitled How To Read and Write Braille. In 2014 I came across Author Ronnie C. Dawson, CEO and founder of Broken Bars Publishing and told him about myself and all 6 of my books. I e-mailed him The Gateway, and long story short I started publishing it through them. It's being edited, but in about 2 weeks he'll be sending me the first draft so I can review and approve or disapprove the edits. He says by August it'll be finished. Stephen King is my inspiration for wanting to be an author.
Here's what all 6 of my books are about - How To Read and Write Braille: details how to read and write Braille, The Gateway: a physicist opens a gateway on another planet which is in another dimension and leads to an alien invasion; violence and strong language, The Abduction of Benjamin Williams: a family gets betrayed by a neighbor they thought they could trust, My Dog George: a boy's dog runs away, Tim's Story: A boy becomes an orphan after his parents are killed in a tragic car crash. (None of the characters in this book are based on actual people. The basis for this book was inspired by the story told in Contemporary Christian Music artist Steven Curtis Chapman's song "When Love Takes You In", and Tim's red hair was inspired by the hair color of the orphan boy in Steven Curtis Chapman's song "All I Really Want".), and Lost in Wisconsin: a boy gets separated from his parents while they are going on vacation, and due to his dyslexia boards the wrong plane.

. Who’s you favorite author? Stephen King

. Do you have a favorite time or place to write? No, I write whenever the mood strikes me.

. Do you have a favorite food or drink while you write? I don't eat or drink while I write.

.What do you do to relax? To relax I watch TV or listen to music.

. As writers, we all have to deal with writer’s block, what do you do when that happens? When I get writer's block I take a break from writing.

. If you could ask one question of any writer, who would it be and what would you ask? Stephen King. I'd ask what's the hardest part for you when coming up with an idea for a book.

Now that we’ve got the easy stuff out of the way, let’s talk about your book.

. Would you like to share something from you latest project with us?  "The Gateway" introduces readers to Chicago, IL in 2059, and Dr. Richard Caulman, a physicist who aims to revolutionize transportation. Instead his creation leads to an alien invasion which puts the entire world in danger.

. Where do you draw your artistic inspiration from? I draw inspiration from Stephen King.

. Of all your characters, who is your favorite? My favorite character from The Gateway is the main character's son; Richie.

. What authors have had the strongest influence on you as a writer?  Stephen King.

. Do you use an outline or do you let the story emerge as it goes along?  I let the story emerge as it goes along.

. Are you traditionally or self-published? I'm publishing The Gateway through Broken Bars Publishing.

. What made you pick that route?  They're who I came across in my search for a publisher.

. What has been your biggest challenge? Overcoming writer's block when it happens.

. What has been your greatest reward? Finding Broken Bars Publishing

. If you had one professional wish, what would it be? Making a living writing.

That wasn’t so bad was it?  But before we go, do you have any last words of wisdom to offer those reading this? For me becoming an author was a dream of mine and now it's coming true because I never gave up on it. If you have a dream such as wanting to be a writer or whatever it may be never ever give up on it because in time it will come true.

You can find  Jeremy at http://www.brokenbarspublishing.com/our-authors or on facebook  https://www.facebook.com/OfficialJeremyBreitenbach

No comments:

Post a Comment

Artistic Reflections